Does Cinnamon help with weight loss? Does it really work? If so to what extent? And which Cinnamon is best for weight loss? These are questions that go through most people's minds when they are considering Cinnamon as a weight loss aid..
These are very difficult questions to answer because there is insufficient scientific evidence that Cinnamon helps with weight loss. Our personal experience is that Cinnamon works for weight loss to some extent and for some people, but it must be combined with a healthy program of diet and exercise.
Will Cinnamon melt away your fat? Absolutely not. But it could prevent more fat from being added to your body. Think of Cinnamon as a weight gain preventer as opposed to a weight loss plan.
If you continue to lead an unhealthy life style and eat badly and then cinnamon will have a hard time making any progress whatsoever on your weight loss plan. Even if you consume huge amounts of Cinnamon. Besides consuming very high levels of Cinnamon could lead to high toxicity levels in your body.
WHY CINNAMON MIGHT WORK FOR WEIGHT LOSS
1. Cinnamon keeps you feeling full - According to Dr. Mercola Cinnamon slows down the emptying of your stomach, mostly to reduce the blood sugar spikes. And if you feel fuller, then chances are you will eat less.
2. Cinnamon is a natural digestive - Cinnamon apparently helps digest your food properly. That means you probably will extract more nutrients for your body from a given amount of food and don' have to eat excessively to do so.
3. Cinnamon helps store less fatty acid - If your body gets excess sugar, the liver converts this sugar into fatty acids or fat. Cinnamon seems to increase your blood sugar metabolism meaning it breaks down sugar for absorption into the body as energy. That might mean less fatty acids are produced for your body to store.
4, Cinnamon helps energy levels, concentration and alertness - Some research shows Cinnamon has this effect of focusing your mind and keeping you alert and in a better mood. If you feel more energized chances are you will exercise and lead a more active lifestyle.
5. Cinnamon improves gut health - Cinnamon is a powerful anti bacterial that could help get rid of bad bacteria in your stomach. This NIH article says gut microbes and diet can affect obesity. This report indicates Clostridium difficile is hugely instrumental in weight gain, while this study shows that trans-Cinnamaldehyde (a component of Cinnamon particularly high in Cinnamon Bark Oil) reduces Clostridium difficile Toxin Production and Cytotoxicity in Vitro. So clean up your system with Cinnamon and reintroduce some good bacteria with non dairy probiotics or foods high in healthy gut bacteria like Kim chi, or even better yet just eat a variety of good quality fresh food.
6. The Candida Connection - One of end results of those with excess Candida is weight gain or the inability to lose weight, . As we show you here, Cinnamon is one of the post effective ways to treat Candida overgrowth and get it under control. We are confident that if you an get your Candida under control, then you are on the right path to achieving a healthy weight.
WHICH CINNAMMON FOR WEIGHT LOSS
Ceylon Cinnamon is the best choice for a possible weight loss program because it has low Coumarin levels and won't damage your liver if taken daily. Cassia Cinnamon has high levels of Coumarin (5%-8%) which will kill your liver. So you might end up skinny and die from liver failure. Cassia Cinnamon is acceptable for occasional consumption but if you are taking Cinnamon on a daily basis for weight loss then Ceylon Cinnamon is the better choice.
The best way to loose weight is to reduce your food intake. And Cinnamon might help by reducing the hunger pangs. It does not seem to have any property to burn away your fat cells. But it could possibly prevent the accumulation of fatty cells. Ultimately it is your decision. Try it for three months. It it fails, the cost would be far cheaper than any other other possible remedy with virtually zero side effects. But it is essential to get good quality Ceylon Cinnamon.
BEST STRATEGY FOR WEIGHT LOSS
1. Reduce Sugar Consumption - Taking out sugar from your diet is probably the single most effective way to lose weight. That includes all sugar you add to Tea or Coffee, sugar in soft drink,sugar in processed foods and sugar that comes from eating too much Carbohydrates. We estimate taking out sugar will account for near 55% of weight loss.
3.. Exercise - This is one of the biggest myths. Exercise will only help you tone your muscles and improving blood circulation which is great for skin, making it glow. It also helps get rid of toxins in your body, according to this article in the Huffington post..
But you must only do moderate exercise. Pick something you can do for the rest of your life no matter what. That is why playing a sport or dancing is far better than spending hours at the gym. Yes you do need a little bit of weight lifting to increase bone density. Exercise we believe contributed less than 5% of any weight loss program. but is still essential for good health. But overdo it and it will put unnecessary wear and tear on your body.
4. Good sleep for weight loss - There is increasing evidence that poor sleep leads to weight gain and obesity.
HOW YOU COULD TAKE CINNAMON FOR WEIGHT LOSS
We prefer to drink a cup of our Cinnamon Bark Oil infused black tea, without sugar. It's easy and tastes absolutely fantastic without sugar. After all it is the World's best cinnamon black tea. Besides black tea also has some benefits which we list here.
But if you are allergic to caffeine we would boil a cinnamon stick and make a tea out of it and have a cup everyday with a meal. If you have no patience with boiling the sticks, boil a few sticks, make a jug of tea and keep the rest in the refrigerator. It will keep well for 3 days or so. It is delicious iced. Here is how to make cinnamon stick tea.
If the sticks are not convenient then we would suggest adding a cup of boiling water to a 3/4 tsp of Ceylon Cinnamon powder, brewing it for three minutes and then straining it through a fine filter. A bit messy but still quicker that boiling cinnamon sticks.. We have used a French press and poured it carefully so the powder will not get into the cup too much. Our powder makes a pretty potent cup of cinnamon powder tea we have to say. And if you are traveling, the powder is easy to take with you..
The next choices are adding Cinnamon to your cooking (sticks) , adding it into a smoothie (powder) , sprinkling on fruit (powder) and the myriad other ways we list in recipes on our site. This you do when it gets boring to take cinnamon the easy way. Need to keep it interesting. Otherwise you will get sick of it.
|Cinnamon Black Tea||
|One of the easiest and nicest ways to take Cinnamon is by drinking a cup of real Cinnamon Black Tea.||If you are allergic to caffeine, then get some Ceylon Cinnamon sticks, boil it and make it into a tea.||You can use the powder to make a tea or just add to fruits or healthy smoothies. No more than 1.25 tsp per day.|
|No more than 1-2 cups per day
Take for 5 days. Rest for 2 days. Repeat.
|No more than 1 stick per day Take for 5 days. Rest for 2 days. Repeat.
||No more than 1.25 tsp per day. Take for 5 days. Rest for 2 days. Repeat.
|For added variation add some fresh, ginger, cloves,star anise..||Make it interesting by adding to soups, stews, curries and rice.||Add to healthy smoothies, pancakes, cereal, French toast|
|Cinnamon Black Tea Recipes||Cinnamon Stick Recipes||Cinnamon Powder Recipes|
HOW MUCH CINNAMON POWDER FOR WEIGHT LOSS?
The US national Health service claims you should not take more than 6g (1 1/4 teaspoons) of Cinnamon per day for 6 weeks or less with a period of rest (about one week) after six weeks. Seems like good advise. Or you could take it for 5 days straight, have a rest for 2 days and then repeat the cycle. Maybe an easier approach.
However we believe the US National Health service advise is based on Cassia Cinnamon and it's high levels of Coumarin. Since Ceylon Cinnamon has negligible levels of Coumarin it seems you can double your Ceylon Cinnamon dosage and still be under the European Daily Intake standards of 0.1 mg/kg body weight. Secondly higher dosages of Ceylon Cinnamon may also make it as effective as Cassia Cinnamon. Just a guess but worth exploring.
CINNAMON AND HONEY WILL NOT WORK FOR WEIGHT LOSS
We are not convinced that cinnamon and honey can lead to weight loss. Cinnamon on it’s own is at least plausible, but honey is not, in our opinion. Honey at the end of the day is sugar even though it may have other health benefits. Livestrong in this article admits as such in a round about way.
We cannot find a single credible study on how honey can help reduce weight. Honey is just piggy backing on cinnamon. The best way to check is to take them separately. Try it for a month separately and see.
This WebMd article says “Even if honey is natural, it is no better than ordinary white or brown sugar for dieters or people with diabetes, says dietitian Toby Smithson, RD, CDE, a spokesperson for the American Dietetic Association and founder of the web site, Diabetes Everyday. “. One obscure study on PubMed did find honey can reduce weight, but does not specify by how much and warns that it comes at the risk of other side effects.
The FDA has not approved Cinnamon to cure any medical condition. This information is presented for informational purposes and is not intended to treat, diagnose or cure any illness. Consult a physician before taking any Cinnamon. If you are pregnant, nursing or have a heart condition you should definitely not take Cinnamon.