Let’s get one thing clear. I am not advocating you give up dairy foods entirely. Although you should because dairy production in the United States is tainted, genetically modified, infused with growth hormones, over produced with our tax dollars and consumed far beyond reasonable levels.
US Dairy consumption is an incredible 604.5 lbs. per person as of 2008. We have a gigantic dairy over consumption problem in the United States. This is because of a perverse system of government programs, incentives, and subsidies that has led to the over production of dairy products. That’s why we are bombarded with advertisements for milk and other dairy products.
Dairy is in everything. You simply cannot go anywhere without consuming it. It’s in our Cereals, Bread, in the hamburger,Salad, Milk Shake, Pasta and Pizza. It’s in snacks, it’s in Mayo, Sour Cream, Yoghurt and it’s in drinks including probiotic drinks that we down with gusto.
Relentless marketing has conditioned parents to give their children Milk or Yoghurt to build their bones, when in fact they may be condemning their children to a life of disease including obesity, diabetes and heart attacks. You don’t need to drink Milk to get your Vitamin D or Calcium. A reasonable amount of sunlight (5-30 minutes) or other foods can give all the Vitamin D you need. Visit this USDA web site to get alternative sources of Calcium.
You need to cut out dairy completely from your diet. Have a look around and take stock of all the dairy products in your house. You will find quite a bit of it. And in case you are not convinced here are 12 SOLID reasons why you should avoid American Dairy products.
- Osteoporosis – Clinical research shows that dairy products have little or no benefit for bones. According to PCRH girls who got the most calcium from (mostly from dairy) had more than double the risk stress fractures. Countries with lowest rates of dairy and calcium consumption (like those in Africa and Asia) have the lowest rates of osteoporosis
- Cholesterol – Dairy products are the number one source of saturated fats that block your arteries and cause heart attacks.
- Diabetes - Type 1 & Type 2 – A 2001 Finnish study of 3,000 infants with genetically increased risk for developing diabetes showed that early introduction of cow’s milk increased susceptibility to type 1 diabetes. Because of high fat content in dairy products, and the general over consumption of dairy products, the resultant obesity makes you more susceptible to Type 2 diabetes too.
- Cancer – Prostate, Ovarian, Colon and Breast cancers have been linked to consumption of dairy products. Calcium in milk, may raise cancer risk. Research shows that higher intakes of both calcium and dairy products may increase a man’s risk of prostate cancer by 30 to 50 percent
- Lactose Intolerance - Approximately 95 percent of Asian Americans, 80 to 100 percent of Native Americans, 60 to 80 percent of African Americans, 50 to 80 percent of Hispanics,2 and 15 percent of Caucasians are lactose intolerant. This often causes gastrointestinal distress, diarrhea, flatulence, celiac disease and Crohn’s disease.
- ADD – Anecdotal evidence suggests that the milk consumption maybe related to ADD. Florida researcher, Robert Cade, M.D., and his colleague have identified a milk protein, casomorphin, as the probable cause of attention deficit disorder and autism.
- Allergies & Asthma – Research is showing many allergies related to milk. Hypersensitivity to milk is implicated as a cause of sudden death in infancy. Allergy to cow’s milk proteins…10 hours after milk intake the patient presented serous rhinorrea, sneezing and nasal blockade.
- Milk has Growth Hormones – Contrary to popular belief Monsanto was granted a patent to use a growth hormone in dairy milk cows by the FDA. The Monsanto Growth Hormone has been banned from use in Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, Israel and all European Union countries (currently numbering 27), from 2000 or earlier.
- Genetically Modified – We are not talking about the cow itself, but the corn and other feed stuff that are fed to these animals. Ironically made by Monsanto again.
- Acne - A prospective study on 6,094 adolescent girls and found that a greater consumption of milk was associated with a higher prevalence of acne.
- Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) & Migraines - One of the most common dietary triggers of migraines and arthritis pain is dairy products, and even minor exposures can cause an attack. In 1981, Parke described a 38-year-old mother with 11-years of progressive erosive seronegative rheumatoid arthritis who recovered from her disease, attaining full mobility, by stopping all dairy products.
- Colic - The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that infants below 1 year of age not be given whole cow’s milk. Breastfeeding mothers can have colicky babies if the mothers consume cow’s milk because the cow’s antibodies can pass through the mother into the baby.